BrightLine Partners LLC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Exec VP, Rail Infrastructure
at BrightLine Partners LLC
Brightline provides a unique and enriching opportunity to be a part of a new transportation alternative that is keenly focused on hospitality and guest service. The Engineering Department takes the lead on ensuring our world class rolling stock is running on infrastructure that is safe, well-maintained and operating to our standards. They are also responsible for network expansion activities and evaluation of such opportunities.
As an essential member of the Operations team, your responsibilities will be to oversee the implementation of Positive Train Control (PTC) throughout the corridor according to the FRA mandate. You will have shared responsibility during pre-revenue service for phase 2 of monitoring progress and installment of rail infrastructure (FRA Class 4 up to FRA Class 7) and associated controls systems, including Positive Train Control (PTC). For the existing corridor (Phase 1) and once Phase 2 is delivered, you will have responsibility of working with our host railroad, and other vendors as required, to inspect the infrastructure on a regular basis and ensure that maintenance is done in a timely and professional manner. You will work with our Safety team, the freight railroad and local and state communities and agencies on optimizing corridor protection to prevent accidents and injuries along the corridor. Finally, as we expand our network, you will work with the development team to plan and oversee the construction of the infrastructure required to add stations or other network capacity in collaboration with the Freight Railroad.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide short and long term strategic planning for rail operations to senior management along with regulatory environment concerns and volatility issues that could affect long term operations.
- Prepare rail design and track layouts for new and expanding terminals on the existing system, including conceptual rail operating plans that are consistent with FECR & Virgin Trains safety and operating rules and procedures.
- Serve as primary agent submitting applications on behalf of the company as requested. Negotiate terms and conditions of Private Sidetrack Agreements, Track Lease Agreements, Operating Rights Agreements, Purchase/Sale Agreements, Land Lease Agreements, Road Crossing Agreements and Utility Crossing – Encroachment Agreements and any other agreements (excluding Freight rate contracts) with class carrier.
- Responsible for oversight of all new track construction to ensure rail contractors are meeting or exceeding FRA, AREMA and class carrier specifications, our defined schedule and does not exceed budget
- Responsible for track material ordering and inventory. Negotiates the purchase of relay rail, OTM, crossties, etc., at most the advantageous pricing. Ensure that all track material, rail and crossties meet or exceed FECR/Company’s minimum track material standards.
- Function as liaison between Virgin Trains rail operations, FECR and other partner management teams as directed by the company president.
- Perform and conduct site assessments
- Develop and retain employees within Virgin Train rail operations team to ensure growth and long term retention of operations and field teams.
- Administer the maintenance contract between Brightline and our host railroad, and other vendors as required ensuring that all maintenance obligations are fulfilled safely and as per agreement, and that no slow orders arise which would adversely impact the reliability and safety of Brightline schedule service.
- Conduct independent regular field inspections, and regular inspections jointly with the host railroad.
- Identify capital investment needs to sustain, improve or expand Brightline service, improve safety and/or reliability, and administer the implementation of such capital investments.
- For Phase 2 between West Palm Beach and Orlando, assist with the completion of the rail infrastructure upon which the Brightline trains will run. Work closely with the EVP for Rail Construction and the contractors building the infrastructure to achieve final acceptance by the host railroad as Class 5-7 track. Frequent presence in the field during construction is anticipated.
- Conduct regular track inspections and reviews of host railroad maintenance activities, including tracks, switches, signals, communications, PTC and grade crossings to ensure that these components are maintained to the required FRA standards allowing the safe and reliable operation of Brightline scheduled and 'extra' passenger train service.
- Review planned host railroad maintenance and/or capital work which may impact Brightline train operations, and develop implementation plans jointly with host railroad that do not adversely impact Brightline scheduled service.
- Work with Brightline Transportation staff to make any required alternate service plans to accommodate necessary maintenance activity that cannot be implemented/conducted without disruption to regular Brightline service.
- Identify capital investment needs to protect the safety, capacity and reliability of Brightline passenger service.
- You have a Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, and/or Railroad Engineering
- Licensed Professional Engineer preferred, but not essential
- You have a minimum 10 years of increasingly responsible roles conducting Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) regulated maintenance of railroad track, signal, communication systems, and familiarity with the newly mandated Positive Train Control concepts and maintenance procedures.
- You are familiar with and demonstrate knowledge of all the requirements for FRA Class 4 up to FRA Class 7 designations.
- You are able to demonstrate working knowledge of signal systems and Enhanced Automated Train Control (EATC) PTC systems and the ability to monitor the maintenance of these on behalf of Brightline.
- You have a certification to inspect track to FRA standards, and demonstrate experience working in active railroad corridors.
- You have familiarity with Roadway Worker Protection rules.
- You are able to energetic and physically able perform inspections along our route, specifically you must hold a valid driver’s license and be able to drive, walk, kneel, climb a ladder and remain outside in heat for a long period of time.
- You have an amazing ability to manage relationships, both internal to the organization, and external.
NOTE: JOB DESCRIPTION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON BUSINESS NECESSITY.
Brightline Management, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Brightline Management, LLC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.