City of Hollywood (FL)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Certified Police Officer
at City of Hollywood (FL)
Pay: $60029.4 to $93180.7/year
$60029.4 - $93180.7
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2226911
Overall Job Objective
- The Position
- ***NOTE: The City, through the discretionary authority of the Chief of Police and the Director of Human Resources, has the right to place newly hired Police Officers within the C/starting step ($60,029.36 Annually) and the G/4 step ($72,966.06 Annually) of the pay scale range for Police Officers, based on the newly hired officer's previous law enforcement experience.***
Under the general supervision of a Sergeant and in cooperation with the community, performs a variety of policing and law enforcement activities. Tasks are primarily service oriented and include patrol, investigative, and enforcement functions, to generally provide for the safety of the public, and to perform essential functions as required. Duties include an element of personal danger, exposure to adverse weather conditions, apprehending criminals, directing traffic, and transporting prisoners. Incumbents perform duties in accordance with Florida Statues and established departmental policies, procedures, and guidelines. The incumbent must be able to act without close supervision and must be able to exercise independent judgement. Work is reviewed through observation, conferences and review of written work product for results obtained and adherence to established policies and procedures. May be authorized to assume the duties of a Sergeant in their absence.
- The Requirements
APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT
- Must Be A Current State of Florida Certified Police Officer
- United States Citizen
- Minimum 21 years of age
- High School Graduate or G.E.D. equivalency
- Pass Basic Motor Skills Test (BMST) for physical agility
- Pass Swim Test
- Pass Oral Board Examination
- Pass Polygraph Examination
- Pass Psychological Screening (Law)
- Pass an extensive background investigation
- Pass a Chief and/or Command Staff review
- Pass an extensive medical evaluation
- Pass drug detection by urinalysis test
- Meet current State training requirements as necessary
- Stable work history
- Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record
- Must possess ability to exercise discretion
- Be of good moral character, have no felony convictions, and committed no incidents of violence
- Not have been convicted of any felony or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement
- Military discharge must be "Honorable"
- Certified Police Officers previously employed by the City of Hollywood who successfully passed the Hollywood Police Department's hiring process may have certain hiring requirements waived
1. Police Personal History Statement (PHS) Booklet (27-Pages). This booklet can be downloaded by clicking the link below: http://www.hollywoodfl.org/DocumentCenter/View/4894
The Personal History Statement booklet must be completed in legible handwriting. Once the PHS is completed and notarized, applicant must scan and upload, as one (1) complete .pdf file (MAX FILE SIZE ~ 10MB), the PHS followed by all applicable documents in list order on page 2 from the PHS to the online application before submitting it. (Submitted Online ONLY - We are no longer accepting hardcopy PHS booklets)
2. City of Hollywood Employment Application (Online Application ONLY)
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATIONOnce you have completed the Police Personal History Statement (PHS) booklet with all required documents and notarization, you must upload it as one (1) complete .pdf document (MAX FILE SIZE ~ 10MB), and attach it to your online employment application prior to submitting it. NOTE: Please retain your original PHS and supporting documentation as it will be required at point of interview.
- The Examination
- TESTINGEXAMINATION: Candidates must pass the Physical Agility (BMST) and Swim Test prior to their application being submitted.
To determine whether your training meets the FDLE standards, you must submit your training along with your complete online application and required documents at the time of application. You may also access the FDLE website and follow the listed steps or contact them directly at (850) 410-8600. http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cms/CJSTC/Officer-Requirements/How-to-Become-an-Officer.aspx
Candidates must present documentation from the Criminal Justice Testing Center at Broward Community College Institute of Public Safety or any other state-wide acceptable testing institution indicating their passing score of each component with their application. See information below from the Criminal Justice Institute.BROWARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE CRIMINAL JUSTICE TESTING CENTERAT THE INSTITUTE OF PUBLIC SAFETY3501 Davie Road, Building 21Davie, Florida 33314Testing Center Telephone Numbers and Hours of OperationInformation Desk 954-201-6931 M-F 8:00 AM – 4:00 PMRegistration Desk 954-201-6790 T-F 8:15 AM – 3:00 PM
Click on the link below for the Testing Center Information Guide
The Criminal Justice Testing Center is NOT a hiring agency, it is a testing center for persons wanting to enter Law Enforcement positions in Broward County. The Criminal Justice Testing Center administers the BASIC MOTOR SKILLS TEST (AGILITY), and SWIM TEST to candidates for employment in cooperation with Broward County Chiefs of Police Association. Successful completion of required tests may make you eligible for consideration of further evaluation by participating agencies.REGISTRATION: Applicants must register on line for all tests and must have a scheduled appointment in order to complete the examination. All information regarding testing is available on the FOLLOWING WEBSITE: https://ips.broward.edu/IPSApplicants/IPS_HomePage_Frm.aspx
Applicants must present a completed "CJSTC 75" form, a valid photo I.D., and pay appropriate fees to become eligible for written test appointments (appointments are mandatory and must be scheduled in advance).TESTING SCHEDULES:• BASIC MOTOR SKILL (AGILITY TEST)Monday 9:00 AM (appointment required)Thursday 9:00 AM (appointment required)
• AGILITY PRACTICE (no charge for practice sessions)Wednesday 9:00 AM
Thursday 1:30 PM
• SWIM TESTWednesday 12:00 PM (appointment required)Upon request the Testing Center will also provide printed documentation of your test scores AFTER you have PASSED all of the necessary tests.
The BASIC MOTOR SKILLS TEST (Agility) score is valid for six (6) months.
The SWIM score is valid for life.
ELIGIBILITY LISTThe City of Hollywood will determine if you meet the minimum requirements for the position. Following meeting the minimum requirements for the position, an examination will take place that will consist of the following test: Evaluation of Training and Experience. The scoring will be as follows:
70 points - for meeting the minimum qualifications of the position as stated above.
5 points - for 1 to 4 years of previous Sworn local, state or federal law enforcement experience.
10 points - for 5 to 9 years of previous Sworn local, state or federal law enforcement experience.
15 points - for 10 to 14 years of previous Sworn local, state or federal law enforcement experience.
20 points - for 15 to 19 years of previous Sworn local, state or federal law enforcement experience.
25 points - for 20 to 24 years of previous Sworn local, state or federal law enforcement experience.
30 points - for 25 years or more of previous Sworn local, state or federal law enforcement experience.
Your Training and Experience score will establish your rank on the CITY'S CIVIL SERVICE ELIGIBILITY LIST. Your rank may change as we continuously take applications & update the eligibility list.
If you are claiming Veteran's Preference, you must provide a copy of your DD-214 in order to receive preference.
FACTORS WHICH WILL DISQUALIFY YOUR APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT WITH THE CITY OF HOLLYWOOD'S POLICE DEPARTMENTPrior to being considered for employment by the Hollywood Police Department, all applicants must successfully pass the following: a Police Personal History Booklet review (to include an extensive criminal history and driving record check); an oral board examination; a polygraph examination; a psychological screening; an extensive background investigation; a Chief and/or Command Staff review; a medical exam; and a drug screening. Failure to pass any one of these exams will render you disqualified from employment with the Police Department.The following are background automatic disqualifiers according to the Police Department's established rules, regulations, policies and procedures.Automatic Background disqualifiers (to include, but not limited to):. Five (5) or more traffic moving violations in the last five (5) years or a
poor overall driving history.. Two (2) OR more drivers' license suspensions in the last five (5) years.. Any D.U.I. arrest and/or conviction in the last five (5) years.. Any visible tattoos on the hands, neck or face.. Any ARREST AND/OR CONVICTION involving domestic violence issues.. Failure to disclose any traffic tickets, convictions, past employer information, or any other pertinent/relevant information in your background.. Recent use of any illegal controlled substance.. If you have failed our background investigation or psychological screening (sworn only) in the past year.. If you have any discharge other than "Honorable" from the military.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONYour application will remain on file for 6 months.
Those applicants who are disqualified may not reapply for one year.
- Additional Information
- All successful applicants will be required to pass an extensive background which may include criminal history searches, driving history checks, credit report, courthouse searches, education verification, employment verification, professional license verification, or other search methods as deemed necessary for the position. In addition, the applicant will be required to undergo a medical examination, which may include a drug screening, prior to appointment.
Employment of Relatives: The City of Hollywood has an Ordinance which regulates the employment of relatives of City employees. Effective January 28, 2008, a relative may only be hired under the following additional conditions:
- The relative must have competed in an appropriate examination process as determined by Human Resources and be placed on a civil service eligibility list;
- The relative must be among the top three ranked candidates available on the certified eligibility list unless expanded by the Civil Service Board;
- The Department or Office Director and the Director, Human Resources must demonstrate that it is in the best interests of the City of Hollywood to hire the relative of a public officer or employee.
As of 12/15/2005 the City will require all newly hired employees to sign an affidavit affirming non-usage of tobacco or tobacco products within the last year prior to submission of application and will continue to be a non-user of tobacco products throughout employment with the City of Hollywood.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The Employment Office will make reasonable efforts in the examination and workplace to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources of special needs by calling (954) 921-3216.
All applicants receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, abilities, marital status, political affiliation, familial status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity and expression (except as limited by law, Personnel Rules, Collective Bargaining Agreements, or bona fide occupational disqualifications).
The City of Hollywood is an Equal Opportunity / Equal Access Employer.