City of Miramar
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
LIFEGUARD PT (SEASONAL)
at City of Miramar
This is a SUMMER ONLY position.
Under the general direction of the Aquatic Supervisor, This is skilled water safety work in preventing accidents and injuries at the City Swimming Facilities by minimizing and/or eliminating hazardous situations and behaviors. Lifeguards are responsible for protecting and safeguarding Swim classes' student and facility patrons by enforcing rules and regulations at all times to prevent injuries or loss of life through unsafe practices in and around the Aquatic Center. Work is performed independently in accordance with established procedures governing the use of the Aquatic Center. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
The position is scheduled to work Summer Schedule 2019 - beginning June 03, 2019 and ending August 23, 2019.
***Please note: The City of Miramar receives hundreds of applications for summer positions, but only a limited number of positions are available***
- Position Duties and Responsibilities
• The lifeguard will assist pool manager and the head lifeguard in carrying out pool procedures.
• Monitors the use of the swimming pools; enforces safety rules, maintains order and discipline among Swimmers and other persons at the Aquatic Center and/or related facilities.
• Follows prescribed procedures in making pool rescues.
• The lifeguard will rescue bathers in distress, apply resuscitation, and administer emergency care WHEN NEEDED.
• Assists in front desk duties which include program registration, rentals, admissions, swim meets and collecting payments.
• Complete records and reports.
• Participates in regular in-service trainings and Exercises regularly to maintain fitness level (strength and endurance).
• Responds to public inquiries about aquatics programs made by telephone, correspondence, or during public meetings.
• Assists in the maintenance of the swimming pool, Monitor and maintains pool filtration system and Monitor pool water chemistry through testing of water samples and adjust chemistry as needed to maintain standards.
• Assisting in other routine activities relating to pool operations, facility maintenance and City events such as summer camps, City Special events activities, etc.
• Assist Water Safety Instructors by teaching swimming lessons to City camps, external camps and/or swim classes according to a prescribed routine and curriculum.
• Lifeguard will rotate amongst facilities and will perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Serves as a member of various employee committees, as assigned.
• Valid Lifeguard Certification " American Red Cross"
• Valid C.P.R for the professional rescuer (American Red Cross Only.
• Valid First Aid Certification
• Water Safety Instructor (Preferred)
• Pass a swimming performance test.
• Keep certifications current at all times.
• Skilled in operation of listed tools and equipment;
• Ability to effectively enforce safety and health regulations relating to aquatic programs;
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, participants, instructors and the general public; and the ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with a diverse population, both external and internal.
• Ability to work nights, evenings, weekends, holidays and flexible schedules
- Position Requirements/Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
1. Education and /Or Experience: Graduation from High School or G.E.D.
2. Languages Skills: Ability to read documents in English such as Pool Operations Manual, City of Miramar, Manual of Procedures and H.R.S Pool Operations Code for Swimming Pools. Ability to communicate in clear, concise language, both orally in writing.
3. Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply, enforce and understand all facility rules and regulations. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
4. Certificates Licenses, Registrations: Must poses and maintain Lifeguard Certification, C.P.R for the professional rescuer from American Red Cross, Valid First Aid Certification.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to exercise mature judgment with tact and diplomacy when dealing with Aquatic Center users, Campus community and the public community. Perform lifeguard duties at all times. Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
The Physical demands described here are representative of those that must meet by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must pass a standard Lifeguarding performance Test. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
The environment characteristics describe here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties. While Performing the duties of this Job the employee works in an outdoor facility and is exposed to sun, wet and/ or humid conditions, extreme Cold, and extreme heat. May have to sit and Guard for long periods of time and will be exposed to chemicals.
Various hand tools used in the maintenance of swimming pool equipment; pool filtration equipment; pool testing equipment; rescue board; rescue equipment; flotation devices; telephone.
Position requires the performance of multiple complex tasks simultaneously. Requires long range planning with consideration to all influencing factors. Requires complex multi-tasking capabilities.
***The duties listed above are not all inclusive of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.***