City of Sunrise Florida
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Code Enforcement Officer 030819
at City of Sunrise Florida
NATURE OF WORK
This position involves applying superior customer service skills to conduct investigative, technical and administrative work in the enforcement of the City Code of Ordinances, zoning code regulations, and property maintenance standards. Community Enhancement & Code Compliance aims to preserve and enhance the safety, appearance and economic stability of the Sunrise community through the diligent enforcement of applicable ordinances.
Employees in this classification receive and investigate complaints, proactively patrol assigned geographic zone, educate residents and business owners regarding code requirements and violations, review inspection reports, determine violations and prepare Notices of Violation. Work involves performing field inspections as well as interpreting technical legal provisions and administrative directives pertaining to code enforcement. Working with diverse cultural and socioeconomic groups using tact, discretion, initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines. Duties require the use of judgment and tact in explaining regulations to property owners, businesses and attorneys. Supervision is received from the Code Compliance Field Supervisor who provides assistance to achieve effective code enforcement. Work is reviewed through personal conferences, written reports, achievements of stated expectations and goals, and adherence to City and departmental practices and policies.
- Examples of Duties
- Initiates and performs proactive field investigations for non-compliance with or in violation of City codes and ordinances; performs verification and determination of the nature of the violation; prepares and serves notices to remove existing violations; writes Notices of Violation in cases of failure to remove a violation.
- Performs field inspections for compliance with provisions of Florida Statute Chapter 205, Local Business Taxes.
- Conducts detailed inspections for compliance with the City's Property Maintenance and Minimum Housing Ordinances.
- Provides superior customer service and correspondence with citizens who are in violation of city codes; explains actions required to comply with ordinances and provides remedial action alternatives.
- Demonstrate a polite, helpful and courteous manner when engaged in any activity involving the public while demonstrating an understanding, consideration, and respect for cultural, religious and gender differences.
- Responds to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provides information within the area of assignment; resolves complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Educates residents and business owners in code purposes and compliance procedures.
- Attends city events and various civic association meetings to educate and inform residents and business owners about code requirements and compliance procedures.
- Reviews various records and documentation relating to code enforcement duties, i.e. property ownership, site plans, special exceptions, codes and ordinances.
- Presents case documentation and information, and testifies at the Code Enforcement Special Magistrate hearings regarding case facts, conditions, findings and relevant code sections.
- Interacts and consults with a variety of individuals and groups in the performance of job responsibilities, including City personnel in various departments, City Attorney, county and state agencies, property owners, business owners, community groups and others.
- Performs related work as required.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of GED diploma
- PROOF OF THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF COMPLETED EDUCATION MUST BE SUBMITTED AS AN ATTACHMENT WITH APPLICATION. (Applications without attached proof of education will not be processed for consideration.)
- Must possess previous customer service experience preferably performed in a public service environment
- Considerable experience in the daily use of a computerized system required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word is required; Basic knowledge of Excel preferred
- Municipal code compliance and/or investigative experience preferred
NECESSARY SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Florida Association of Code Enforcement Level I certification is required
- Possession of a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record
- Eligible candidates may be required to pass a proficiency assessment in Microsoft Word
- Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public by telephone and personal contact.
- Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to, word processor, calculator, copier, and fax machine
- Standing, walking, and moving considerable distance on a limited basis.
- Some climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, handling, sitting, pushing, and pulling
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors in various weather conditions, including inclement weather
- Ability to perform minimal lifting, not to exceed 25 pounds of force, which may be required on a limited basis
- Supplemental Information
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to manage and prioritize routine, specialized and complex oral and written assignments and problems utilizing knowledge acquired through prior education, training, and experience.
- Knowledge of legal procedure related to the enforcement of municipal codes and related regulations.
- Knowledge of the City codes, regulations, rules and procedures, and administrative practices relating to enforcement procedures.
- Knowledge of office principles and procedures.
- Ability to meet the public, and explain and enforce regulations firmly, tactfully and impartially, sometimes in stressful or emotional situations.
- Ability to effectively communicate and educate the general public in layman's terms.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, city officials, supervisors, fellow employees, vendors, the general public and other outside organizations with the goal of fostering positive employee relations and employee morale.
- Ability to effectively prepare and maintain records and reports.
- Skill in the operation of computer equipment and keyboard, including PC applications.