City of Sunrise Florida
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)42619
at City of Sunrise Florida
Join the CITIZEN VOLUNTEER CORPS today!
The Citizen Volunteer Corps program is designed to inspire community engagement by encouraging residents to get involved in the nuts and bolts of local government through volunteering their time and talents in various city departments. This program seeks to create an innovative partnership between the City and the citizens we serve, by providing volunteers the opportunity to directly impact programs and services that our residents count on every day.Who joins the corps? A diverse range of dedicated people who may be: They've discovered that volunteering is a great way to:
- between jobs & want to keep their skills sharp
- retired with years of knowledge & experience to share
- graduate program candidates in need of an internship opportunity
- high school students looking to serve civic volunteer hours
- new graduates seeking work experience
- civically engaged people who take the time to get involved in this community!
- earn recognition
- inspire community engagement
- help expand & improve City services
- meet new people & make new friends
- develop marketable job skills
- gain experience with a great organization
- explore careers / build a resume
- make a difference in our community
- Examples of Duties
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.
Using the training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help. CERT members also are encouraged to support emergency response agencies by taking a more active role in emergency preparedness projects in their community.
- IMPORTANT DETAILS ABOUT OUR CITY'S VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
- Volunteers do not need to live within the City of Sunrise, but must be at least 15 years old.
- Potential volunteers will need to submit the online application and may be subject to background checks depending on where they will be placed.
- Once selected, participants can enroll for free in the national President's Volunteer Service Awards program.
- Citizen Volunteer Corps members are eligible to earn special recognition and awards from the City for their creditable volunteer service hours.
- Visit the President's Volunteer Service Awards website for program information and online enrollment at: www.presidentialserviceawards.gov
- Supplemental Information
The City of Sunrise offers internships in the areas of administration, finance, leisure services, urban planning, emergency management, engineering and special projects throughout the City. This is varied semi-professional work which may include, but not limited to, research, technical/financial analysis, special projects, preparation of written communications, critical review of documents and agreements, citizen engagement, interdepartmental coordination, project management, involvement in a wide range of municipal management and community development issues, and assisting in administrative/office management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- HOURS: Up to 26 hours per week / (3 to 6 months to be determined)
- Internships may be Paid or For Credit
- Ability to perform research and prepare pertinent reports.
- Experience in use of computers (Word and Excel) and good communication skills
- Internships in various departments may have specialized requirements depending on area of assignment.