Fisher Island Club
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Fisher Island Club
- Miami Beach, FL, USA
- Full Time
Director of Food & Beverage
The primary responsibility for the Banquet Chef is for food production needed for banquet functions and private events for Fisher Island Club and to ensure that the club's high standards are achieved and maintained within contract specifications and requirements. Accountable for all food costs for banquet functions. Supervise production personnel used for banquet events. Assist the Culinary team as needed when no functions are scheduled. Is seen as an inspirational role model by his/her team members. Is a top professional in the field with a passion for the culinary arts.
This includes all practices, procedures, training and guest satisfaction levels. A procedural approach to managing the entire kitchen department must be employed, utilizing modern management principles as well as incorporating technological innovations where practical in order to deliver top quality guest service.
In accordance with Fisher Island Club's philosophy, all team members work together sharing in a common goal of a successful, profitable and innovative club. Team members are to demonstrate integrity, fairness and honesty. These are our core values that we will live by in our daily interaction with all of our external and internal members, guests and customers.
Nature and Scope:
- The incumbent reports directly to the Director of Food & Beverage. The major trust of the position is to create and maintain a professional kitchen operation and control expenses relative to the operation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead by example utilizing a "hands-on" approach to management.
- Establish and develop a highly motivated, pro-active kitchen team with the highest ethical standards that delivers a cost effective and quality-oriented service product.
- Facilitate an environment in which team members are comfortable utilizing the open-door policy
- Schedules and coordinates the work of cooks and other kitchen employees to assure that food preparation is economical and technically correct and within budgeted labor cost goals
- Manages food production including menu planning, costing, execution and employee supervision for banquet functions including holiday buffets, Sunday brunch and other special occasions.
- When requested, assists with production of daily specials for restaurants.
- Assists in the hiring, training and ongoing supervision including scheduling of all employees involved with banquet food production.
- Assists or relieves the Culinary team whenever reduced banquet volume allows.
- Serves on the Banquet Function Committee to assist in the planning of food-related aspects of each special event.
- Establishes and adheres to food cost goals for banquet functions; takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that financial goals are attained.
- Assures that food quality standards and pre-determined costs are attained on all banquet functions.
- Sets-up plating line for functions and assists with plating duties.
- Approves the requisition of products and other necessary food supplies
- Develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation that help to assure consistently high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control for all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices
- Prepares necessary data for applicable parts of the budget; projects annual food, labor and other costs and monitors actual financial results; takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that financial goals are met
- Responsible for daily/weekly and monthly inventory process which will establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and misappropriate of product
- Attends food and beverage staff and management meetings.
- Consults with the Management about food production aspects of special events being planned
- Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation
- Evaluates food products to assure that quality standards are consistently attained
- Interacts with applicable staff member to assure that food production consistently exceeds the expectations of members and guests
- Develop and maintain good communication and work relationships in all areas of the club
- Develops policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality; continually updates written policies and procedures to reflect state-of-the-art techniques, equipment and terminology
- Recruits and makes selection decisions; evaluates job performance of kitchen staff; coaches, rewards and disciplines staff in a fair and legal manner
- Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment
- Motivates and provides professional development opportunities for all kitchen staff including cross-training
- Periodically visits dining area to welcome members and inquire about experience
- Hosts taste panels to assess feasibility of proposed menu items
- Reviews and approves product purchase specifications
- Maintains physical presence during event function
- Implements safety training programs; manages OSHA-related aspects of kitchen safety and maintains
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, personal hygiene, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times
- Safeguards all food-preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident-prevention, and overall kitchen operation principles
- Liaise with government regulating agency i.e. Health Inspector as necessary
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment in the completion of job duties related to matters of significance
- Bachelor's degree in Culinary Arts and/other Hospitality Management degree
- Min. 5 years food production and management experience as Banquet Chef or similar position in a medium size (250+ rooms) high volume, luxury hotel or resort
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Extensive and broad knowledge experience and knowledge of continental cuisine that includes
- Strong background in large food production and experience with high volume
- Excellent cooking and demonstration skills
- Solid progression through the culinary ranks
- Has the ability to taste all foods to assure correct preparation
- Experience implementing new food concepts and menus
- Track record of successfully managing food cost and inventory control
- Establish and maintain proper inventories
- Good computer skills to include spreadsheets, word processing and e-mail
- Working knowledge of inventory management systems
- Excellent knowledge of FDA and Florida Health Department Rules and Regulations
- Ability to verbally communicate with others in order to coach and lead
- Strong interpersonal, managerial and leadership skills required
- Strong organizational and time management skills required
- Ability to manage change effectively
- Ability to conceptualize the mission
- Provide leadership to the departments to achieve their goals and objectives
- Communicate the goals and objectives and inspire employees to achieve those goals
- Clear, concise written and verbal communication skills
- Experience making presentations in front of groups
- Ability to clearly and concisely present technical subjects
- Demonstrate team building experience
- Track record promoting an atmosphere of teamwork
- Demonstrate to lead by example
- Build morale and spirit
- Use a "hands-on" approach to management
- Abilities to inspire, train, and develop people for promotion
- Experience communicating, training, and managing multi-lingual staffs
- Instill a guest service attitude in all employees
- Experience training and developing employees with limited education/experience
- Instill a "can-do" attitude in employees
- Coach employees how to resolve and de-escalate conflicts
- Instill a calm, organized approach in all situations
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong customer service orientation and skills
- Excellent listening skills
- Exceptional detail in follow-up
- Strong budgetary, projections, and cost control skills
- Follow/enforce company policies and procedures
- Resolve problems
- Assume responsibility/accountability
- Excellent safety, sanitation and environmental skills
- Provide overall direction, coordination, and ongoing evaluation of operations
- Ability to quickly evaluate alternatives and decide on a plan of action
- Think creatively
- Teach suggestive selling techniques
- Juggle and balance needs of the organization
- Proactive, Team Player, Problem Solver
- Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
- Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
- Respect for all co-workers and guests
- Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
- Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
- Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
- Work is not performed in an office environment
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that include odd hours/weekends and holidays
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Physical ability to execute a wide variety of challenging activities in both indoor and outdoor settings
- Able to lift to 25-50 lbs. regularly
- Ability to bend, climb, stoop, twist and stand for long periods of time
- Stand, bend, pull, scoop, and reach through-out shift
- Mobility to move freely throughout different surfaces on a continual basis
- Standing/walking is required a minimum of 8 hours per shift
- Ability to bend, climb, stoop, twist and stand for long periods of time
- Mobility to move freely throughout kitchen floor/stockroom/coolers on a continual basis
- Valid Florida driver's license to operate golf cart for market deliveries
This description is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances arise with or without notice and it is in the best interest of the operation without compromising safety and integrity.