Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Engineer I - Safety
Jacobs Technology provides overall management and implementation of ground systems capabilities, flight hardware processing and launch operations at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. These tasks will support the International Space Station, Ground Systems Development and Operations, and the Space Launch System, Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle and Launch Services programs.
The Safety Engineer I will perform a variety of safety program tasks in support of the Test and Operations Support Contract (TOSC) at Kennedy Space Center. This position is under the supervision of the Health Safety Environment (HSE) Group Manager and will perform duties in a multi-disciplinary environment. Works with TOSC personnel to integrate safety programs and to promote safe work practices. Responsible for conducting Engineering Assessments of new systems to determine and document the design meets the requirements as outlined in NASA System Safety Procedures. Reviews will be pertaining to ground support equipment, facility and operations. Develop, design and implement applications and processes that will improve efficiencies and programs within the HSE organization.
Safety responsibilities include:
- Provide practical application of engineering skills to perform system safety & reliability engineering criteria in designs of system equipment and facilities to identify hazards and provide any hazard mitigations to eliminate or control residual risks that meet system functional requirements and NASA program requirements.
- Develop and validate safety and reliability assessments and system assurance analyses including Hazard Analysis, Fault Trees, Failure Modes and Effects Analyses.
- Ensure compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and applicable consensus standards; Kennedy Space Center (KSC) requirements; State, Local and employer requirements.
- Participate in project planning, design reviews, configuration control boards, readiness reviews and present results of analyses.
- Assist the SH&E office in the development of strategic planning activities to ensure that TOSC has identified an attainable path of improvement for reliability, safety, lessons learned, mission success and risk identification/reduction in support of flight/ground hardware and mission assurance
- Follow the safe practices and rules contained in the Jacobs Corporate Safety and Health Plan and other such rules and practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree from accredited engineering school or related engineering/technical field.
- Understanding electrical and mechanical systems schematics.
- Knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and controls systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects
- Must be able to present information to upper management and customers.·
- In-depth computer experience with Microsoft Office products, Internet browsers, and outlook.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, if necessary.
- Will be required to climb stairs in order to access equipment for trouble shooting.
- Will be required to wear hearing protection, eye protection and other associated personal protective equipment.
- Position may involve extended periods of sitting or standing.
- Physical requirements are: sitting, walking, standing, extensive use of stairs, and access to remote structures.
- Position is located on a hazardous testing facility; must be able to quickly evacuate buildings in the event of an emergency.
- Will be required to work inside and outside throughout the test complex.
- Position may require daily individual to travel to different areas on site.
- Walking on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and dirt/sand is required to access various locations on the facility.
- Climbing ladders and platforms may be necessary.
- All work must be completed in a safe manner in accordance with NASA and Company
- safety standards.
Equipment and Machines
- Computers and printers used for producing reports and schedules.
- Variety of equipment used in testing.
- Full-time regular work hours between Monday-Friday.
- Position may require occasional overtime including weekend work depending on task.
- Must be dependable and punctual.
- Shift work may be required.
Other Essential Functions
- Must be able to accurately communicate ideas in writing and verbal communication.
- Must be able to travel to support position requirements. This may include travel to and from customer location, which may involve airline travel. In some cases, accommodations can be made for POV, if necessary.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- Must comply with all “drug free workplace” requirements as mandated by directives issued by the appropriate federal contracting officer and the company, which requires drug testing for use of illegal drugs by employees in sensitive positions.
- Government security clearance may be required in the future.
- Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relations with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Jacobs is a drug-free workplace.