Marriott International Incorporated
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. Development Manager
at Marriott International Incorporated
Job Number 19001FGI
Job Category Development & Feasibility
Location CALA Regional Office, 1200 S. Pine Island Road, Plantation, Florida, United States VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Hotel Development and the new-unit growth it generates, is one of the principal drivers of Marriott’s EPS growth and earnings multiple. A substantial portion of MI’s unit growth strategy has been achieved through relationships with third party owner-developers, growing MI’s fee business through franchising and management contracts with unaffiliated owners. This requires a comprehensive understanding of the hotel development process, as well as MI’s franchise contracts and management business models.
As a member of Hotel Development professional staff, the Manager/Sr Manager contributes a high level of specialized knowledge and skill in the market planning area to support the department and/or function objectives. Generally, works with considerable independence, researching, targeting and approaching owners and investors of new build hotel projects as well as hotel conversion opportunities, developing a strategic action plan together with his/her manager (the VP of Development) in alignment with broader business objectives.
The position of Manager/Sr Manager of Development requires a thorough understanding of the hotel industry, regional hotel market dynamics and possesses a solid network of regional hotel developers and investors. The Manager/Sr Manager is responsible for analyzing and evaluating hotel markets to determine the potential for Marriott branding and rebranding opportunities. As a part of the Development team, the Manager/Sr Manager supports the Development and Market organizations.
Reporting to a Vice President of their respective markets, the Manager/Sr Manager will be responsible for reviewing potential markets and site locations, pursuing franchise contracts with third party owner-developers, including an emphasis on identifying new markets and sites for current owners and franchisees.
Specific Expected Contributions
Responsible for managing the initial aspects of hotel development process, including:
• Maintain and develop a strong network of contacts in the local hotel and real estate investment sector.
• Implementing a strategic process to identify markets/sites for current owners/franchisees to develop Marriott branded hotels and add to their Marriott portfolio
• Assist Area VP Development in pre-screening markets, market planning, generating new leads as well as qualifying and following-up on leads.
• Assist VP for Conversions, identifying and approaching unencumbered target hotels for conversion to Marriott brands.
• Proactively and strategically visiting new markets, farming new relationships and building a network to fuel quality opportunities to brand new projects and conversions.
• Relative to the specific projects, serving as a point of contact and manage relationships with all parties until that project is turned over to the VP for that market.
• Perform initial operator screens by evaluating owner/operator strength and weaknesses.
• Work with other disciplines to underwrite opportunities
Enhancing the region’s select-service, conversions and all-inclusive growth strategy; and thereby optimizing Marriott’s market share of new deals in CALA.
• Working with a cross-functional team that may include the following disciplines (in which, the candidate should have some degree of experience):
- Brand Management
- Global Design
- Project Finance
- Hotel Finance
- Corporate Accounting
- Risk Management
- Legal Counsel
• Responsible for preserving and/or maximizing financial value to the Company by employing creativity and diligence in identifying the best markets with the best owners for new hotels.
• Presenting comprehensive project updates to the Vice-President, Regional Vice President and Chief Development Officer.
• Performing other duties as appropriate.
The successful candidate should possess the following attributes:
- Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing).
- Excellent inter-personal skills and capability of both building lasting relationships and “selling” Marriott’s benefits to third-parties including negotiating skills.
- A “rainmaker”, with a natural talent for maintaining a strong network of valuable contacts.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively understand hotel transactions (both franchised and managed); handle multiple projects on short timetables; and manage staff resources efficiently.
- Enthusiastic, energetic, proactive outlook and approach to professional life is essential.
- An ability to work in a team environment with a small, but diverse team is critical.
- Mature, professional demeanor, capable of expressing confident, independent judgment.
- Ability to travel extensively
- Analytical and critical thinking skills as well as an understanding of financial aspects
Minimum of 2-3 years or equivalent relevant experience in various aspects of real estate or hospitality, including financial analysis, business development, account management, sales and marketing, project management and hotel brokerage.
Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a business discipline (e.g., hospitality, finance, accounting, economics or real estate.) Advanced degree preferred.
Fluency in Spanish and English. Travel will be required.