Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
AML/BSA Investigator Sr.
Primary Location2500 Weston (FL01) - FL157
Identifies and investigates suspicious activity in support and fulfillment of Anti-Money-Laundering/Bank Secrecy Act (AML/BSA) regulatory requirements. Analyzes customer account transactions to detect suspicious activity and decides on appropriate actions. Evaluates and analyzes information uncovered during investigations and makes appropriate recommendations regarding filing of Suspicious Activity Reports (SAR). Serves as a subject-matter-expert and assists less experienced team members.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyzes customer account transactions to detect suspicious activity and decides on appropriate action. Works cooperatively with internal departments and other financial institutions to obtain and analyze necessary information related to investigations.
- Works cooperatively with local, state, or federal authorities to investigate suspicious account activity. Analyzes investigation results to determine need for SAR filing with the Federal Government.
- Follows account opening procedures and understands and follows internal suspicious activity referral requirements and processes, as required. Actively works with customers to understand the customer's regular account activity.
- Provides guidance, support, and recommendations to business lines regarding customer AML risk ratings and account activity.
- Works cooperatively with business line to establish procedures for identifying suspicious customer transactions specific to money laundering including the proper method for reporting such activity to the anti-money-laundering group.
- Assists manager with ensuring quality control standards and technical aspects of SAR filings are compliant with regulatory guidelines.
- Actively ensures compliance with the Code of Ethics and all AML/BSA information security and suspicious activity reporting requirements, policies and procedures.
- Prepares investigative reports for management. Assists with departmental tracking and reporting. Ensures the monitoring system software software captures all investigations accurately and that investigations are reconciled to manual reports.
- Assists in the implementation of AML/BSA detection and prevention methods, such as training and instruction manuals. Provides needed support for special projects or critical casework as requested.
- Exercises sound judgment and observes the highest degree of confidentiality in the handling of information received in the course responsibilities. Actively participates in required corporate and business line AML/BSA and other related training.
- Each team member is expected to be aware of risk within their functional area. This includes observing all policies, procedures, laws, regulations and risk limits specific to their role. Additionally, they should raise and report known or suspected violations to the appropriate Company authority in a timely fashion.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Synovus is an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting diversity in the workplace.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Risk or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years of job related AML/BSA compliance experience including experience conducting investigations preferably in security, fraud, or anti-money laundering, and extensive experience with the technical requirements of the SAR form.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Deep knowledge of the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering laws and regulations
- Extensive banking and compliance knowledge of AML/Know Your Customer (KYC) related issues
- Strong investigative skills with the ability to work independently
- Skill reading, analyzing and interpreting Federal and State Banking Regulations
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office software products such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Certified Anti Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS)
- Knowledge of AML/BSA monitoring software including Patriot Officer and Verafin