The City of Boca Raton
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Vocational Apprenticeship - Plant Mechanic - Part Time
at The City of Boca Raton
- Job Description
The City of Boca Raton has established a paid Vocational Apprenticeship Program (Apprenticeship Program). The Apprenticeship Program provides practical on-the-job work experience to individuals who have an interest in learning a trade that will prepare them with skills needed to build a career. The Apprenticeship Program also provides the City of Boca Raton a potential pool of applicants for future permanent employment recruitment.
This Apprenticeship Program offers challenging and meaningful tasks for the Apprentice in their field of choice. To apply, the candidate must be legally eligible to work in the United States, be either a high school graduate or have achieved the equivalent of a high school diploma or some technical vocational education/training and be at least 18 years of age. Apprenticeships are offered on an ongoing basis depending upon the needs of participating Departments. All Apprentices receive compensation for hours worked. Compensation is in the form of an hourly wage. All Apprenticeships are part-time. Apprentices are designated as unclassified employees and are ineligible for any benefits or additional compensation of any type (including but not limited to a bonus, stipend, etc.). Apprentices are assigned a Department Coordinator who directs, supervises and evaluates their work performance and conduct .
Apprentice Requirements & Responsibilities
- Legally eligible to work in the United States;
- HS Diploma or equivalent or some technical vocational education/training;
- At least 18 years of age;
- Must complete an online application form;
- Must complete required testing, if applicable;
- Must pass a background check;
- Must have fulfilled any pre-requisite OSHA or other mandated training, if applicable;
- Be available for an in-person interview (over-the-phone interviews may be arranged);
- Work part-time, but no more than 25 hours per week (or an average of 25 hours per week over a one year period of time);
- Shall attend a mandatory orientation session and required training sessions;
- Shall adhere to all City and Department policies;
- Shall follow Department directives and complete assignments timely and at least in a satisfactory manner; and,
- Shall take part in Goal Setting, Performance Evaluation(s) sessions and an Exit Interview with Human Resources;
- Select an available Department Apprenticeship for which you would like to apply.
- Click on the link below to access the Department Apprenticeship Description.
- Carefully read the Department Apprenticeship Description requirements.
- To Apply for available positions: Click on the "View Job Posting" link at the top right corner of this position description. Next click the position title you are interested in, and then click on the "Apply" link at the top right corner of the posting. This process will take you to the Online Employment Application.
I. POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Utility Services provide water and wastewater services for about 130, 000 customers in the City of Boca Raton. The Department employs over 150 full-time employees serving this customer base and meeting the regulatory requirements of the industry. We are strive to recruit, hire and retain the most dedicated and qualified employees.
The Vocational Apprenticeship Program (the Program) provides an opportunity for individuals to acquire skills through practical on-the-job work experience, and, provides the City of Boca Raton with potential applicants for future permanent employment. Interested applicants should read information outlined below.
Apprentices will be required to follow all City safety policies and procedures and attend all required on the job safety and technical training programs as it pertains to the job. Apprentices must follow the City timekeeping procedures and report to work in a timely prompt manner. Minimum Requirements for Apprenticeship Program
- Graduation from High School or attending an accredited Technical Vocational School or Community College will supplement this requirement.
- Available to work Monday thru Friday between 7.00am to 4.30pm.
- A desire to pursue a career in municipal government
The applicant must be of good moral character, have good communication skills, strong work ethic, be able to follow written and verbal directions, and be able to work well with others. In addition, but not limited to have the ability to:
- Ability to lift, carry or push 50 pounds.
- Possession of a Class E Florida Drivers License with less than six points in the past three years.
- Have some basic knowledge and training in any of the following areas: Plumbing, Electrical Installation, Welding, Machining, Carpentry, Construction, Instrumentation, Computer Repair & Programming.
- Should not have used or consumed tobacco products in the last year.
- Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions, noise and etc.
- Must be able to wear and/or use appropriate personal protection equipment.
Requires a minimum commitment of six (6) months, preferably one (1) year.
V. Available Positions
- Plant Mechanic Apprentice-- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or technical vocational school and at least six months documented experience in maintenance work involving any of the following: plumbing, carpentry, masonry, welding, construction, HVAC, and mechanical repair and installations.
Candidates selected for an Apprenticeship will be expected to comply with all the City and Department rules and regulations. In addition, candidates will be expected to:
- Wear proper attire while working in accordance with the City of Boca Raton's personnel rules and regulations policy.
- Required to follow all safety rules and regulations and wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when required.
- Conduct him/herself in a professional manner
- Clock in and out each day and manage schedule with assigned Departmental Apprenticeship Coordinator.